Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Miike and More

So a couple of weeks ago I went to see the Japanese horror director Takashi Miike speak at the Japan Society in NYC. I'm a big fan of his films, especially The Happiness of the Katakuris and Ichi the Killer. Oh, and I really want to see his film that just came out in the states, Yatterman. His films are really strange, grotesque, sometimes violent, and always awesome. The interesting thing is he doesn't write any of his films, just directs. So it's cool that he is able to retain his really crazy style from film to film.

I brought my camera and took some shitty pics.




Oh, and more randomly the director of The Burrowers (a film I worked on two years ago) was sitting in same row as me. Crazy. I said hi and ended up talking to him and his wife during the reception. He invited me to a screening of The Burrowers at NYU --and I went to it last Friday. It was nice to see it finally. I'm not a big horror film fan, despite loving Miike. However, the acting was great and overall it is much better than standard horror fare today. For one thing, it is serious and darkly comic, as opposed to being purposefully cheesy. . . although the monsters weren't super scary.

----

So, I finished studding the boots, but I haven't taken a picture of them yet. I think they look quite cool though. . . However the limited opinions I've gotten (off guy friends) are disheartening. I still like them though. Not all guys appreciate the extreme bits of high fashion.

Here is a pic of the awesome-find thrift store boots pre-studding:



And here's a pic of what I wore that day:


Pants, H&M, via T.Ruxpin. . .
Shirt, Target
Boots, thrift store

Pictures of studded boots will be forthcoming. . .

1 comment:

Isabel said...

Love the outfit, its really simple and sleek. Can't wait to see what you've done with the boots!